Barbara's Ovarian Cancer Story Part II

Ovarian Cancer: Process and Survival

Post Surgery

  HEALTH INSURANCE 60+

Read Part I for info concerning prognosis and surgery...

The resultant few weeks after my discharge from the hospital, have been very busy. My sister, Nance, and my mother adorned the home and Christmas tree. My sister Lauren visited from Washington and cleaned, candy-like and lent valuable assist to all of us. There have been visits to the operating surgeon for follow-up and the oncologist for the preliminary attend. John and my sisters attended me. It was so very useful to have other individual ask questions and write down info. It could be an amazing expertise, particularly once you're somewhat "spaced out" on vicodin for ache administration, as I accustomed be. I signed on to be a part of a research project utilizing completely different combos of medicines for eight alternatively of the conventional six cycles. Laurie had introduced a e-book together with her that provided plenty of info on methods to meet an gonad most cancers prognosis and resultant remedies. One suggestion was to analysis research project. There is a substantial amount of "cutting edge" analysis on the market all the same you could have to hunt for it, do your homework, and produce the cognition to your Dr.. My oncologist's work was conducting a trial, I accustomed be accepted, and I accustomed be agendad to start therapy on December 21.

Even although I accustomed be dreading the entire course of, I knew I requisite to method it in a heap the identical approach I did the surgery, just about like an athletic occasion or a race. I requisite to get into as sturdy and as ready as potential and with a greater "attitude."

Attitude is defined as a fashion of performing, feeling or considering that reveals one's disposition, opinion and psychological set. We power not have the power to direction a scenario, all the same we will select our angle about that situation- sufferer or fighter; passive or aggressive; depressed or nisus towards pleasure and happiness; caught inside the "why me's" or looking the "what can I learn from this." With the assistance of many individuals and thru a heap poring over and analysis, my "attitude-adjustment" course of unfolded.

A leaflet entitled "Preparing for Chemo" suggests a number of issues that I instantly put into motion.

1) Get your hair lower quick in order that when your hair begins falling out, it is much less traumatic and will not clog the bathe's drain. (This labored for the drains all the same I accustomed be still traumatized.)

2) If you propose to put on a wig, store for it earlier than beginning chemo. My sisters and my big-ticket good friend and hairstylist Patty, helped with each of those steps. Watching my long hair fall to the ground was very arduous and but made me really feel the tiniest bit extra in charge of what was taking place to me. To my shock, everybody befavorite my new hairdo. The wish boosted my ego after I actually wanted it. Nance and Laurie attended me to the wig store. Laughter is superb medicine-and we laughed rather a heap as all of us performed with the wigs earlier than selecting two very good ones. Four hundred {dollars} later I accustomed be armed with my hair prosthetics and a sore stomach from laughing. At this writing, I'm sporting my very own very quick hair after 9 months of wigs and hats.

3) The leaflet suggests having a dental examine up and cleansing earlier than beginning chemo. Also vital is giving your property a radical cleansing and possibly programming soul to come back in as soon as each week thereafter- a clear home can decrease promotion to infectious brokers.

4) Building up power by train and a superb weight-reduction plan may also help decrease a number of the negative individualal effects of chemo. This leaflet and different useful literature, is offered by oncology places of work and gives good sensible info. I additively discovered the library and the web to be good sources.

Shortly after my homecoming, from the hospital, I nontransmissible a phone name from Lindy, a volunteer with the Cancer Society (arrange by my husband and the most cancers assist employees on the hospital.) She had been acknowledged and handled for Stage IIIc gonad most cancers seven years in the past. Hearing from her gave me an actual enhance and few good suggestions for header with the future chemo. She shared her experiences with surgery, hair loss and full restoration! She continues to be most cancers free! In addition to recommendation on make-up to camouflage the truth that one has no eyebrows or eyelashes, she enlightened me how useful acupuncture was for her. She felt that it actually decreased a number of the chemo side-individualal effects and "rebalanced" her physique's power. I had had a number of classes of acupuncture few years in the past, and I instantly knew that this is able to be proper for me. I consider in its efficaciousness and positively really feel the classes have been very useful.

My first acupuncture session was 4 days after the primary chemo therapy. The meds they gave me to forestall sickness labored very properly. I did not have a heap of an urge for food and felt somewhat achy and drained all the same the one actual aspect impact I arch was a horrible, hand-wringing itch and tingling in my palms and toes. Amy, my acupuncturist, has labored with a number of individuals present process chemo, could be very educated, and had a superb therapy plan in place for me. I agendad to see her 2 days earlier than and Four days after each chemo session. After my first attend together with her, I did really feel higher, extra energized and the itch had positively dissipated a superb deal. She gave me some strategies on dietary supplements and few Chinese herbs to make use of.

The aspect impact of itch, burning and tingling is named neuropathy and is pretty frequent with the forms of chemo communications protocol I accustomed be on. After my second and third classes, the signs worsened! I turned to the web to study extra about neuropathy and what, if somematter, I power do about it. I discovered an clause by Cindy H. Makencon, web site: http://www.gonad-news.org, entitled "header-Tips for dealing with neuropathy." She provided a substantial amount of useful info together with reviews of research on the advantages of taking pretty giant doses of L-Glutamine Sulfate and Chondroitin. I forwarded this info onto Carolyn, the analysis nurse in control of my research project, and she or he shared the cognition with the oncologist. I had already began taking L-Glutamine after I met with him. He had additive researched and developed a brand new therapy plan for me which enclosed giant doses of L-Glutamine, a change in one of many chemo meds, and the addition of a drugs acknowledged as neurontin. The mixture of all this stuff labored! The neuropathy steady subsided and I've had no additive issues.

I consider a number of different elements contributed to my with the power to deal with the chemo fairly properly. I continued to extend my train routine, progressing to strolling on a regular basis after which again to the fitness center for step-classes, albeit modified, and lifting gentle weights. Exercise builds muscle power, will increase O and blood movement and for me, was and is an actual bodily and psychological power enhance.

I got here throughout a e-book entitled: "Herbal Therapy & Supplements- a Scientific and Traditional Approach" written by Merrily A. Kuhn, RN, Ph.D. and David Winston, a herb doctor and ethnobiologist. The e-book was a part of an at-home research course that I wanted to finish for my RN Continuing Education Credits. The e-book gives a complete information to many frequent and few much less frequent herbs and dietary supplements, their makes use of, opposed results, contraindications, and drug-herb interactions. After cautious analysis, I began utilizing a number of herbs and dietary supplements designed to attenuate chemo negative individualal effects and enhance my immune system. I accustomed be cautious to make use of issues that don't stimulate estrogen inside the physique as my most cancers was estrogen-receptor optimistic. I began taking these dietary supplements one or two issues at once in little doses as a way to monitor any unfavorable reactions, earlier than including extra. Most importantly, I notified my Dr. that I accustomed be taking dietary supplements and having acupuncture.

At the tip of this text, I'll provide an entire checklist of the dietary supplements and herbs that I've been utilizing and few info concerning the principle for every of those additions.

For a number of months, our kitchen counter resembled a drug and complement retailer. I requisite to write up a daily agenda of what to take when. It was value it! Once the neuropathy was below direction, I tolerated the rest of the chemo remedies fairly properly. I accustomed be capable of work full time and train, and my urge for food and power ranges have been good. Physically, acupuncture, train, weight-reduction plan, and dietary supplements have been, and still are, invaluable instruments which helped me meet the chemo and recuperate from its severe results.

On one other stage, the emotional and non secular aids have been an much more extremely effective a part of the therapeutic course of. Previously, I discussed my visualizations concerning pre and submit operative therapeutic and seeing myself wholesome and most cancers free. Now, it was time to take it a step additive and embrace it as a robust adjunct to the chemo drugs. Rather than seeing the meds as a poison, I began to visualise it as "nectar from the gods," washing by me and being preoccupied by my immune cells as a potion to destroy most cancers cells. A number of weeks earlier than my first therapy, I learn an clause few junior native woman who had battled most cancers at age 16. She wrote a e-book about her expertise and enclosed her ideas on seeing her chemo as "nectar from the gods." I favorite her outlook and integrated it into my work. My husband, John, created a particular tape for me to hear to whereas receiving the extract of chemo. This radio-controlled train enclosed rest, therapeutic messages, and strategies for picturing my immune cells taking good care of issues and utilizing the chemo successfully. Before every chemo session, even earlier than they began the IV, he would do a rest train with me. This ritual grew to become a vital a part of the method. By engaged on my "attitude" in direction of the chemo and by conjunctive with these components of myself that may be extremely effective self-healers, I felt I accustomed be taking again direction of what was taking place. Feeling that you're a part of the therapeutic course of alternatively of a passive receiver of medicines so forth., could be very empowering.

Rituals and routines are very comforting, particularly once you're experiencing annoying instances. My "chemo ritual" developed from the very first session. The night time earlier than, I meditated and did my therapeutic visualizations at bedtime. John drove me to the oncology heart. I chosen my chair and we settled in together with his rest train. My sister, Nance, arrived bearing muffins and foolish magazines. After visiting and chatting, John left for work and Nance and I munched muffins and laughed on the National Enquirer tales. About an hour earlier than the extract was accomplished, my brother, Tom, would arrive for a attend and to take me dwelling. Somewhere inside the session, my sister, Laurie, would name from Washington to examine in and infrequently John would "pop in" in his travels. I all the time had firm and felt fondly supported. Sabrina enclosed me in her speculation each morning and my mother would cease by the day after the session for tea and a chat. Every three weeks from December 21 by May 27, we adopted this routine. The nurses and my house bought to know each other and we grew to become an actual crew!

Returning to work seven weeks after surgery was one other normalizing routine that made me really feel like I accustomed be taking again my life. Except for the day of chemo and the next day, I've labored full time, feeling productive, wholesome and regular. My co-workers have been very substantiating and caring. They even threw me a commencement celebration to rejoice the completion of chemo.

Even earlier than my final chemo, I accustomed be researching what to do to forestall a return of the sickness. I discovered info on a research project for Ovarex, a vaccine designed to forestall a return of gonad most cancers. After many cellphone calls, letters and wrangle with my coverage firm, I accustomed be accepted right into a research being performed at Stanford's Cancer Center in Palo Alto. It concerned month-to-month extracts for the primary three months after which each twelve weeks for the remainder of the yr, with routine labs and CT scans. I've arch alone delicate negative individualal effects and really feel lucky to have entry to 1 extra software.

This previous yr has been considered one of classes for me. I power have most well-liked the "universe" had given me a delicate spigot on the shoulder alternatively of this Giant Thump on the top to let me know I had issues to study myself and the way "I am" on the earth. Here are a number of the issues I've complete from this expertise:

1. Pay consideration - possibly if I had agitated extra forcefully with my Dr. that one matter was NOT proper, she would have responded with extra consideration. LISTEN to your physique and feeling your instinct.

2. Don't take somematter as a right - individuals, job, well being, hair. When you face the lack of this stuff, you understand how particular individuals are, how the day-to-day routine of a job is a present, how loved good well being is and even how a heap better a "bad hair" day is than NO HAIR!

3. There are an important many sources of valuable info on the market by individuals, libraries and the web. Taking benefit of those sources allowed me to create a complete plan to revive my well being and struggle the sickness utilizing a mix of Western and various therapies.

4. We do have selections in how we meet a disaster - all told probpower the only option for me was to attain out and invite assist. The extra individuals I enlightened about my well being points, the extra optimistic power got here my approach. I felt authorized comparatively than susceptible and armed with my helmet (a wig, which, by the best way, I bought enhances on) and my armor (acupuncture, dietary supplements, chemo, prayers and visualization) I accustomed be able to do battle. I accustomed be "Warrior Princess" alternatively of most cancers affected individual.

5. Laughter is GOOD MEDICINE!

At this writing, my labs and CT scans are fully regular. I'm again to my regular routines of labor and train. I'm sporting a "Jamie Lee Curtis" hairdo. I'm warm about adorning and looking Thanksgiving and once we all come collectively, we'll have rather a heap to be grateful for! Before we probe our feast, I will likely be asking every particular individual to write down on a little of paper, one factor that they're grateful for. Each of us will then withdraw considered one of these document from the basket and attempt to guess who wrote the message. It will likely be straightforward to guess mine. I'm grateful for all of the love and assist from my house and buddies (with a particular ascribable my son, Matt, and my husband for shaving their heads to assist me and to my son, Mike, and his band for dedicating songs to me at concert events and their fund elevating for the Cancer Society.) I'm grateful for the prayers and superlative needs that got here my approach from individuals I don't even know. I thanks!!! Well, after all, that is quaternary factor on my sheet all the same so what! It's time to rejoice!

Happy Thanksgiving 2004 and rejoice daily of your life.

Barbara's Complete Ovarian Cancer Fighting Supplement List:

Three Imperial Mushroom Capsules - accessible by acupuncture work

A) Reishi- Immuno stimulant: enhances immune system; use is sanctioned by the Japanese Health Ministry as an adjunct therapy for most cancers; Increases exercise of chemotheraputic brokers and reduces opposed results equivalent to sickness, Pieris rapae corpuscle counts; helps defend the liver-colored towards harm brought on by viral, drug and environmental toxins.

B) Shitaki- strengthens immune system response; improves survival instances of most cancers sufferers when used at the same time with chemo.

C) Maitake- superlative recognized for most cancers preventing properties; many medical doctors in Japan use it to decrease blood strain and blood lipids; efficient as an anti-tumor agent and immune system modulator.

Echinacia- used in Germany together with chemo inside the therapy of most cancers. May improve WB counts in individuals present process chemo.

Cat's Claw- reduces negative individualal effects of chemo; used in scientific follow in Europe for most cancers & HIV; has vital immune enhancing properties; helps enhance the variety of T-cells, truth troopers of the immune system. In Austria, it's used on with typical therapy (chemo, radiation &/or surgery) to deal with a spate of most cancers sufferers per yr.

Graviola- scientists have been learning this herb for the reason that 1940's - 4 research have been written in 1998 re: vital anti-tumor properties and selective perniciousness towards many forms of most cancers cells (with out harming wholesome cells; Purdue University has performed a substantial amount of analysis on the Annonaceous acetogenins house to which graviola belongs) a heap of which has been funded by the National Cancer Institute or the National Institute of Health.

Acidophyllis- rebalances internal organ flora (particularly vital once you're taking plenty of drugs.)

Multivitamins with Vitamin E

Calcium Supplement

IP-6 with Insositol- has been studied extensively for over 20 years; has extremely effective results on the immune system.

Wheat Grass Juice- will increase hemoglobin; rebuilds the blood; improves physique's means to heal wounds; washes drug deposits from the physique; neutralizes toxins and carcinogens inside the physique.

Green and White Tea- Chinese consider untried tea is a remedy for most cancers and a long life tonic; boosts immune system operate; analysis being completed all over in the world and inside the US by the National Cancer Institute re: anti-tumor exercise. Both untried and white tea are glorious antioxidants.

Website for researching herbs- Plant Database Raintree Nutrition

I used the radio-controlled relaxations/visualizations CD's from the Stress Education Center-Dstress.com

1. #209 Stress Management for Pre and Post-op Survival

2. #208 Stress Management for Healing

Reference:

Health Update from SELF Magazine by Jennifer Nelson November, 2004

Ovarian most cancers: a not-so-silent killer

"Early diagnosing is crucial. When disease is caught before it spreads, 80 percentage of women will survive."

by Barbara Ehlers-Mason, RN and L. John Mason, Ph.D.

Written in November, 2004, one yr after the Surgery for Ovarian Cancer, in November, 2003

Stress Education Center (707) 795-2228 web site: http://www.dstress.com


Barbara

Post a Comment

0 Comments

InsureZero Blog